Hancock County Clerk's Office
Eleanor Straight, County Clerk
P.O. Box 367
New Cumberland, WV 26047
Phone: 304-564-3311 Ext. 266
Facts about the County Clerk's Office
Office Hours 8:30AM to 4:30PM - Monday through Friday
Term of office: 6 years
Duties of office:
- Official Record Keeper of the County
- Budgeting and Accounting for the County
- Responsible for All State and County Elections
- County Commission Meetings, Minutes and Records
- Civil Service Records
Use the County Clerk's office to:
- Register to vote, change party affiliation, address, last name on voter registration
- Record deeds, leases, liens, births, marriages, deaths, other judgments, military discharges
- File wills, probate papers, please call for details, no appointment is necessary
- Purchase hunting/fishing licenses, resident and non-resident, ID required, cash only
- Research deeds, liens, marriage licenses, wills, births and deaths
- For candidates filing for county offices, file reports of campaign donations and expenses
The County Clerk's Office also:
- Issues marriage licenses (same day 18 & over - $36.00, cash only, no waiting period or blood test) Requires certified copy of birth certificate and/or valid driver's license, know month, day and year of most previous divorce/death, if applicable. The office is open during lunch hours. License is valid for 60 days after issuance. We welcome out-of-state couples. West Virginia residents must apply in the county one of them resides in, but the license may be used in any West Virginia county. Marriage couples must make their own arrangements with a minister, rabbi or judge.
- Provides certified copies of births, deaths and marriages. Please send request to above address with a S.A.S.E., name of person whose record is requested, month, day and year of birth, death or marriage, and $5.00 cash or money order (to Hancock County Clerk) for each record requested. No personal checks. Our records began in the early 1850s. Birth and death certificates after July 1978 are mostly in Brooke County, WV (304-737-3661) as the hospital relocated to that county.
- Provides copies of deeds and other documents, $1.50 for the first two pages, $1.00 for each additional page, per document (fees set by legislature)
- Records all types of miscellaneous documents (see fee schedule)
- Gives Justification of Surety (for Property Bond) / Redeem delinquent land sold for taxes
We are not permitted to accept personal checks, cash or money order only. We accept corporate, business or attorney checks. The Clerk's office does not create documents; we record them if they meet West Virginia Code. Please call the office if you have any questions. We will be happy to assist you.
Please send S.A.S.E. for returns and/or forwards. Thank you!
Fee Schedule - Effective July 2001
County Clerk Staff and Contact Information